Wednesday

Bars - simply delicious


In an effort to use up all the food in the house, I have been baking like crazy. Which I love. Right now I love these the most.

These are a good to make with whole wheat flour since the bars are dense to begin with you won't even notice it. I've made these several times with raisins and love them, but I tried chocolate chips (1/2 cup) instead. Wow. This is a good base for different fruit and nut combinations. I see fig and rosemary granola bars in my future.

These granola bars are adapted from this recipe.

Makes 14 granola bars

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 raisins
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.

In a large bowl mix oats, cinnamon, raisins, and flour. Make a well in the center and add honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix thoroughly with your hands.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the bars turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes then cut into bars. 




No comments: